Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Future Mobile 2.0

The Future Mobile 2.0

As the number of standard mobile phone features grows, so does the number of touchpoints companies can use to interact with their end users.

  • The present phones have lots of features that no-one is using
  • They have too small screens for real Web 2.0 and Mobile 2.0 convergence

But even though cell phones that are capable of accessing mobile data channels like the mobile Web, SMS, and MMS are becoming the norm, adoption of these channels among North American consumers is low.

  • Phones are still phones, they are voice and SMS, they have cameras
  • But how can I do some decent work with a present phone?
  • The screens are too small and they keys are too small for my fingers
  • I need a bigger phone: a phone with pocket buck size screen and a keyboard
  • It should cost half of a laptop, but it should be a phone as well

What is the problem with phones? Mobile channels have strengths and weaknesses in terms of their inherent capabilities for supporting different types of user goals.

  • The services for phones, should they be different?
  • I think that it isn't worth while to duplicate the Internet
  • The phone should enable phoning and web browsing
  • I want to type while on the move: bus, train, cafe, seminar, exhibition

To design mobile data channels that support user — and business — goals, companies must start by understanding the capabilities of mobile data channels and the goals users want to accomplish, and then focus mobile projects on the user goals that different mobile channels are best-suited to support.

  • Start with understanding the users, consumers
  • We need devices that are made for humans
  • Podcasting with my phone would be great
  • Webcasting with my phone is also a goal
  • Writing my blogs with my phone

Don't tell me, it's technically possible. The features are there already. I don't buy it. The present phone's are made for phoning and SMS, but the real keyboard for Web access and interaction isn't there yet. The future phone will look different. I guess my phone should be much larger in size. I want to see what I search. I love to write. Talk is cheap. Multimedia is too expensive. Maybe I like to use my phone as my wallet and bank. I want a secure phone.

No comments: